Welcome to Melba everyone!
Join with me in a vitrual tour of the "Seed Heart of America."
sponsored by J.R. Simplot and Company--bringing Earth's resources to life!
Can I just say, A Room with a View!...not to be confused with E.M. Forster's 1908 novel.
Melba is packed with spectacular sites. I'm standing just behind the "Welcome to Melba Sign" and am immediately greeted with a panorama of the Melba Valley. Maybe you've heard Hyrum say, "You drive into Melba not by it"....? Well, the road seen in this picture is one of the "main" roads (two I can think of off the top of my head) which lead to the town of 500 country folk.
Clean, simple.......I think it works don't you?
The Arts do exist in Melba! I think the National Society of Mural Painters, founded in 1895 would be proud of this masterpiece. This can be seen on the south wall of the Melba City Hall pictured above.
Who knew such a little city would have this much culture?
Speaking of culture, Melba may not have a Walmart, but it has one great looking bar.
The bacon smelled AMAZING this morning.
Maybe I could return this afternoon for a cold drink...do you think they sell Pepsi?
The Melba Toast Office. Serving all your baked and mailed goods.
I tell ya I'm loving this post office. Why? THERE ARE NO LINES! Whenever I'm at the post office I always seem to be in a rush, and the line never moves fast enough. So, the next time you're holding your packages thinking you've got 5 minutes before you need to be somewhere else, and the customer in front of you keeps asking questions like....'how much is it again for a booklet of stamps?"
you just might wish you were here too!
What can I say, we live in Idaho.
A right onto Baseline road will bring you to the....
.....Melba City Cemetary. This really is such a nice, well kept, cemetary, and as mentioned before, it has a spectacular view. Turning 180 degrees from this point you get another view of Walter's Butte and the Owyhee Mountain Range.....
....seen here. Continuing on Baseline Road we meet up with the greatest site in Melba.
Here it is, the little farm house!
This is the Zeyer's old home where we currently live. Did you know 6 kids were raised in this house? It's a 3-bedroom, 1-bath, shabby chic country house fully equiped with John Deer tractors out back. I love that we actually have a washer and dryer in the house. (We did quarter laundry for 8 years! Got to love apartment living.) This little house is great, filled with lots of stories and memories. Next summer we'll plant a garden and have tons of fresh veggies and plenty of pumpkins for Halloween. Until then here's a little wack job we completed on the bushes....we now have Bonsai beauties.
We took a little more off than expected, but I guess we won't have to worry about it until 2015.
Like I said, this house is perfect. Except for one thing......
The arachnids are horrendous!
I kill one or two on a daily baisis. Was I the only one who had nightmares after watching the 1990 thriller Arachnophobia? Maybe I need John Goodman to come and blast these puppies into oblivian. According to Dictionary.com an arachnid is "any wingless, carnivorous anrthopod of the class Arachnida" YUCK!
Aside from the endless supply of spiders, there is an endless supply of tractors in Melba!
For those of you with little kids who adore anything with a big wheel, who needs Disneyland, bring them to the farm. The Magic Starts here!
The best part about living in Melba, aside from being closer to family, is the view we get every evening while sitting on our back patio. Thanks for taking the virtual tour of Melba.
Come visit us if you can, you'll be happy you did!















11 comments:
Love it! The house looks so great, it brings back great memories for me when we lived there. I just realized you, Angela and myself all brought our first born boys home there. Great place to start to a family! Can't wait to come and visit!
Congrats you guys! It's absolutely beautiful and I thoroughly enjoyed our weekend in Melba and wish I was there again to give you a giant squeeze!
Great tour Allie! I am looking forward to spending a few relaxing days in this paradise and getting used to the peace and quiet. The bushes look great. You may start a new trend in Melba.
See ya in July,
Dad
Oh my gosh - this is so fun! What a great post, Allie. I laughed out loud a couple of times. What a quaint little place. I hope to visit someday. (Eli would pee his pants with all those tractors - he LOVES 'em!)
the house looks like it's in great shape. i have fond memories of eating popcorn and drinking hot chocolate before carpooling to clogging practice... and not so fond memories of the pet rat. ewww!
Hyrum and Allie:
Wow! A long time for sure Allie you don't even know me and I am not sure Hyrum will remember me. But I attended school with him up to our Sophomore year and have many fond memories of the Melba Valley. I still have family there and remember the Zeyer home!! Caroline's comment about clogging had to make me smile as I remember the Treasure Valley Cloggers.
Anyways I just wanted to say thanks for the great pictures of the valley and also congrats to Hyrum on graduation and on the arrival of your little one soon.
Hope it was okay to leave a comment.
Melanie Burrie Shaw
What a cool place to live! I'm totally jealous:) I MUST see it in person some day...By the way, you take beautiful pictures, Allie.
The bushes look good. I would have just torn them out of the ground- I wonder how old those things are? I also wonder how long a bush can stay alive- could those things live for hundred's of years...I am serious- can they? Good Work. I am excited for the Pumpkin patch one day! The whole post makes me excited to come home for Christmas! Woo Hoo!
Wow, I've always wanted to see Melba. Almost makes me want to go to Idaho. But just almost. Congrats to Hyrum on the graduation. We'll get there someday...You guys are great!
Seriously, that was too much fun. I loved the virtual tour!!! You are so stinkin funny! Oh Allie, I think you are so wonderful - looking at the bright side of so many many things. God bless you for that! Love ya!
I love the tour!!! I am so glad you are now closer. Now I just need to make a trip home. How are you feeling Allie? You are so close. YOu look fantastic.
Post a Comment